Friday, November 11, 2011

4 bdrm, 2.5 bath, 1 acre....? YES PLEASE!

I want a house.

If it was only that simple.

Mr and I currently live in a ~20 year old mobile home. We've had it for about 6 years now and while it was great in the beginning and better than wasting money on rent, I'm over it.
We got it for a really good price and moved it to a piece of land that his parents gave us. Which I should add is right next door to them (one of the many reasons why I'm over it).

We've spent a lot of time and money doing renovations here and there and has come leaps and bounds from what it looked like when we purchased it. I think sea foam green kitchen and baby pink living room paints an accurate visual. There just never seems to be an end to the things I want to do in here to make it feel more like a home, like something more than just a mobile home.

I've come to realize that this place just doesn't work for us any more and so has Mr for the most part but never enough to make him jump on board with looking at houses.
Everyday I struggle with the lack of space and storage this place offers. We are only two people right now and we have out grown it. We have three bedrooms, two of which are nothing more than storage space. Not to mention there are people with closets bigger than each of these rooms.
Our room is just big enough for a bed and two small dressers with a mediocre closet space.
I don't even want to think about when we have a baby. Which is probably the reason that this is frustrating me more and more all the time. There is definitely no way we could bring a baby (and everything that comes with it) into this mess. I'm sure if we had to we could make it work (that would also include a storage locker), but I don't want to. I would rather do it now, before I get pregnant or while in the first trimester. Who wants to pack and move (and unpack) when your strut has turned into a waddle and you can't see your feet. But....on the other hand it would mean not having to do all the moving. I think lots of breaks and 'couchpotato-fingerpoint decorating' would be in order.

I dream of owning a house with more space than I can fill, where things don't fall out of cupboards, where you have the freedom to re-arrange furniture where ever you want, enough space that you aren't tripping over each other, more than one floor and most importantly A SECOND BATHROOM!!!

Logically we should be buying a house and moving closer to where we work. We carpool with each other most days as our workplaces are within a short driving distance of each other. However the commute to work is 45 min each way and adds so much extra time to our days. I would love to be able to be home in 15 min....oh what I would do with that extra time and energy.
We would also be saving at least $200/month in gas which would be a good chunk of money to put towards a mortgage payment.

Mr knows of all the pros of us moving and agrees that it would be much nicer to be closer to town but just doesn't want to take the leap.
He's too attached to where we are, which in my opinion is why we are still where we are.
Everything for him besides work is here. The fire dept (where he volunteers), his friends, hockey/softball teams, and his family. This is where he grew up and I think he's having a hard time letting go.
Since I'm not from here I don't have those ties that he has. My work is in town, and my best friend E is there too. I would love to be able to see her more and stop in when ever instead of having to plan ahead to get together.

The only downside to us moving would be moving away from the in laws. I know you think I'm crazy...I do too. However Mr's mother only works three months out of the year in the spring time. Right now she watches our furbaby Phoenix during the day time while we are at work. They just got a boxer puppy in Sept so she enjoys going to see her and play - they have already become inseparable.
However when we have a baby and my year of maternity leave is up it would sure be nice not to have to worry about finding a child care. In order to get into a day care you have to put your name on a waiting list and can be a 2+ year wait sometimes. Not to mention very few take babies under two. So that leaves finding someone private who does so out of their home. Then you really have to start searching and doing your homework.

So there may only be one thing on my 'con' list against my long list of 'pros' but this one carries a lot of weight.

So do we stay or do we go?

- Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment